Monday, 3 December 2012

A Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac


After a thouroughly enjoyable soirée in Marmande, I treated myself to my first McDo since I’d arrived in France.  Due to the fierce French pride when it comes to gastronomy, McDonalds is somewhat of a rarity in France, if it is at all possible for McDonalds to be a rarity. Conveniently, one is situated on the main road between Villeneuve-sur-Lot and Marmande, the D911, so I pulled in on my return journey early on Sunday afternoon. Understandably, as McDo is pretty much the only establishment open past noon on a Sunday, the place was packed, mainly with hungover jeunes, but also a few families. This made for one of the longest visits in the history of McDonalds. After an inhumanely long queue and a questionable pre order system, I finally got to the till ready to collect my Big Mac Maxi Menu. Slight problem, your Le Big Mac isn’t ready, here are your fries and drink, please come back in a few minutes for Le Big Mac. Extraordinary. Famished, I tucked into my fries, which were annoyingly soggy, until I saw a new batch of Big Macs come down the shoot. One thing you have to love about McDo is that, no matter where you are in the world, whether it be Times Square, New York, or Villeneuve-sur-Lot in the rural south of France, Le Big Mac always tastes just as good. It had been an eventful visit, but I had got what I had come for. Still, seeing as Le Burger à 6 Pâtes is a ten-minute walk from my flat, I think I’ll be sticking with that as my go-to burger joint. 


1 comment: