So after the
disappointment of the match being cancelled, I now had a free afternoon.
Annoyingly, it was too late for me to go and play golf, which would’ve been my
first choice seeing as the sun was shining. Anyway, I decided to go for a run. As
I headed out of town, I realised that I hadn’t been in this particular
direction before and had no idea where to go. I’ve always thought I have a good
sense of direction, so I picked out a house on top of a hill to use as a point
of reference and ploughed on. After a while, I had a sense that I was heading
away from my P.O.R. but kept going, trusting that I would meet the main road
that I was planning too. Eventually I had to slow to a brisk walk, not because
I was struggling, but because I was trying to gauge where to go, not that I had
much choice as I was now on a country lane and had come too far to turn back.
Every now and then a car would pass me with confused looks on the faces. To
explain, it’s the 16th of December and I’m out running in shorts.
Firstly, no one runs in France and secondly, no one wears shorts in December,
in fact, as soon as schools restart in September winter is declared and
everyone goes around in coats and scarves without fail. As I tread on, I notice
my P.O.R. has gone out of sight and I’m seriously considering turning back.
However, I had time to kill and wanted to prove to myself that I could continue
to trust my sense of direction. Five minutes later, and the lane started to
turn back in the direction of Fumel and I could now hear a lot more noise from
cars, meaning the main road that I was hoping to join was near. Onwards I trudged and eventually met up with the D710, 5km from Fumel. Bitter-sweet to say the least. Anyway, I started jogging again and with great effort, managed to make it back to Fumel. I'm pretty sure that this magnificent hawk was following me the whole way, which creeped me out a little, but was good company. I also passed on my way, a scrapyard/workshop full of old Volkswagens, with a few nice looking camper vans. Apparently there's a dealer in town who will do one up on request, using only VW parts from the various wrecks in the back garden. Might have to look into that.
Winston Churchill said that golf is a good walk spoiled. I didn't get to play golf, but I certainly ruined a good walk.
Here is my route roughly. Ignore the squiggly bits in the centre of town. I went anti-clockwise.
![]() |
| Tying myself in knots |

It would appear the half marathon may not be a distant dream after all...
ReplyDelete