Wednesday, 7 November 2012

Another visit to Stade Armandie, another defeat for SU Agen


In fear of upsetting the locals, I’ll put the fact that both since I arrived here in the rugby mad region, my new local team, Sporting Union Agen, have slipped to second from bottom in the Top 14, down to bad luck. I myself have been to two games at the volatile Stade Armandie now, and have seen them lose twice.  The high standards set by home fans may be unrealistic (they consider their team to be Heineken Cup standard) but they have showed little talent in the games I have seen. One local paper describes how a “state of emergency has been declared”.  After the defeat to mid-table Castres, the fans weren’t afraid to voice their opinions, with a cacophony of boos ringing out at the final whistle, as well as the odd baguette hurled onto the pitch. Not even recruiting Scotland and Lions prop Euan Murray could stop them being dominated in the scrum, and he’s only here temporarily. I just hope for their sake, I’m not a bad omen, because with tickets only €11, I’m sure to be returning often. Plus, the sausage and chip baguette at half-time is to die for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment