Monday, 26 November 2012

Thanksgiving


This week, I returned to Agen to celebrate my first Thanksgiving dinner. Having the car meant I didn’t have to go early and sit around in a bar. After just over an hour with some boy racer clung to my rear bumper, I arrived in Agen and took advantage of the minimal parking regulations. My contribution to the meal was “mashed” potato and I say “mashed” because the masher is not a common utensil in France, so a fork had to suffice, so it turned out to be half potato salad have mashed potato. I also managed to track down some parsnips and some crème anglaise, or custard, which turned out to be quite good. Of course a dinner in France would not be complete without a few boxes of rouge. Choosing a wine in a French supermarket is far more complicated than in England, purely because every shop, no matter how small, has an extensive collection of wine. In fact’ any good-sized supermarket actually has a wine “cellar”, meaning someone with my limited knowledge of wine could spend hours choosing. After aimlessly gazing at the bottles, I noticed quite a few people had come and gone with boxes of something or other, so I followed suit. When in Rome etc. Three litres for €11, not bad. Dinner itself was great fun, with my first Pecan Pie, and a few proper french jeunes showing us how it’s done over here. The wine went down well and a good time was had by all. I’m still not entirely sure what Thanksgiving celebrates however. I was told that it’s something to do with the Pilgrims. That’s all I can remember. I blame the rouge, both boxes of it!!

LeClerc's answer to Custard

No comments:

Post a Comment