Wednesday, 21 November 2012

Freedom at last


With the new car, a whole world of opportunities opened up before my eyes. Mainly, I was happy to dust off my golf clubs and take advantage of the November sunshine. After researching all the nearest golf courses, I discovered a 9-hole pitch and putt complex about ten minutes from Fumel, Le 9 du Bouysset. Unfortunately for me, the range was closed, and I didn’t feel like shelling out €20 for a pitch and putt. So I headed back to trusty old Villeneuve-sur-Lot Golf Club, where, I was shocked to discover that I’d have to wait 2 hours for a tee time on a Friday afternoon in late November. So I hit the range in the glorious sunshine, no jumper needed.  As I packed up my things in the car park, which was packed to the rafters, I noticed quite a few British number plates, and even more English conversations taking place. I knew that the area was a popular retirement destination for Brits, but I was amazed to hear more English than French, in a relatively rural and unheralded part of France. Perhaps I’ll befriend them as my golfing buddies and we can moan about the French whilst we whizz round in the buggies (seeing as they’re all north of 60, everyone uses a buggy).
On my way back to Fumel, windows down and sun on my face, I realised why the area is so popular, not only for Brits, but for high-flying city folk also, the countryside is truly stunning. I stopped in a lay-by that doubles up as a viewpoint over the area to soak it all in. 16th November and as far as eye could see, the land was bathed in sunshine. I could get used to this. 

November sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment