Monday, 25 February 2013

Villeneuve Golf Club


It may only be February, but the weather has a definite summer feel already. The sun has been shining high in the clear blue skies for about a week so I decide to head back to Villeneuve Golf Club to profit from this good weather. Now, I have always mocked those who play golf alone, but here I was, with no playing partner, preparing to head out after being sucked into buying a membership to Le Club Golf, an international membership card which entitles you to discounted green fees all over the world. After exchanging pleasantries with a host of retired brits, I teed off in no more than a short sleeve polo shirt covering my top half, something which clearly marked me as a foreigner (everyone else was wrapped up as if they were about to clear snow from the course). I won’t waft on about how I played, even though there were some uncharacteristically good patches, I’ll just say that I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable/relaxing a solo round of golf can be. I had the course to myself up until the final few holes, where I trailed three old yorkshiremen who struck it very well for men their age. One thing that did annoy me somewhat is that of all the golfers with whom I crossed paths during the day, none of them asked me to join their group. Granted I didn’t have the confidence to ask myself, mainly because I had no idea how disastrous my swing would be after a fair few months since my last round, but still it would’ve been nice of them to offer.  Perhaps next time I’ll make the first move. All in all it was a brief but enjoyable visit to course, even if I did have to don a beanie and sweater for the back nine. What’s more, it looks like I chose to play at the perfect time because since then, the weather has taken a turn for the worse, with a sharp frost in the air over the weekend and even snow on Monday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment