The reason for my
latest trip to Agen was to see the Agen rugby team play Bath in the European
Challenge Cup. Check out the matchreport. So I thought I’d make a day of it.
The train line between
Agen and me was undergoing maintenance so there was a replacement bus service.
I say bus, but I think rollercoaster is more appropriate. The countryside of
the Lot-et-Garonne is undulating, to say the least. However the journey gave me
a chance to see parts which you don’t get to see from the train, like the
picturesque riverside town of Penne d’Agenais, which boasts a fantastic hilltop
cathedral. I also noticed some very grand property, which I can only assume is
owned by highflying city dwellers during the holidays. An hour later we pulled into Agen, and I went
in search of the hotel I’d booked into for the night, seeing as the match
didn’t kick off until 8.45pm. I was fully aware that when I booked the Hotel des Ambans I shouldn’t expect the
Four Seasons, seeing as I only paid €34. However, I was starting to rue my
thriftiness when I saw the sign
for the hotel, with just the single *, but was happy at least that it was
signposted.
My
hope took a further knock when I turned into Rue des Ambans and I was greeted with this sight…
![]() |
| Rue des Ambans |
A further sign that
perhaps this place was not for me was the fact that it’s actually locked for
four hours at lunchtime. So I was forced to kill some time in Agen before I
could check in, providing I still wanted to. Having sussed out the area around
the Boulevard de la République on my
previous visit, I ventured east off Rue
President Carnot where I found endless upmarket fashion boutiques, bars and
the Agen rugby shop, which sells everything from replica jerseys to berets. After
heading back to the boulevard to try and soak up some pre-match atmosphere, I
stumbled across the Serge Blanco Shop.
Finally appreciating
the region’s passion for rugby, I stumbled upon a hoard of travelling Bath fans
in Café de la Bourse, this was the
atmosphere I’d been searching for. I grabbed at cracking baguette from deli
chain La Mie Calîne at a bargain and
headed back to my hotel in high spirits. These spirits were heightened further
when I discovered that my back-alley hotel was actually pretty good. Yes it may appear to be a converted brothel,
with narrow winding staircase and as many rooms as possible crammed onto the
three floors, but, once inside my room, imagining what may have happened in
this room in the past, I was pretty happy with my booking. The double bed was
incredibly comfortable, I had my own shower, and although the toilet was shared
with the other rooms on the floor, I wasn’t complaining for 30 euros.
The match was fast
approaching, and after meeting my friends, we made the easy walk from the
boulevard to Stade Armandie. Heading
south on the main drag of Rue President
Carnot, we picked up the crowds and took to our seats. (For more details see match report).
After a good night’s
sleep at the hotel, I again wandered around Agen and got the impression that it
must be quite an affluent city, as the majority of clothing stores I visited
were massively upmarket. The city was thriving even early on a Friday morning
and I couldn’t help feeling that being out in the sticks, I’m missing out on
the real French lifestyle, the one I envisaged when I signed up for this year.
Oh well, it was another great trip to Agen and I’ll definitely be spending more
time there, both at the rugby and the city in general.
Hotel des Ambans, 59 Rue des
Ambans, Agen, 47000
La Mie Calîne, Boulevard de la
République, Agen, 47000



No comments:
Post a Comment