Wednesday, 3 October 2012

My life: as narrated by David Attenborough.



As I headed back to the Wi-Fi hotspot, I reflected proudly on my first full day of employment. To say I was now pulling the proverbial 9 to 5 would be bending the truth somewhat. The smile was soon wiped from my face as I read Lundi – Fermé on the door of the bar. And so, recalling that the other possible source of Internet was on the other side of town, I turned, and began the hike over the mountain (ok it’s only a hill). On this leg of the journey, a new daydream entered my mind. Bear with me here, in my youth I was exposed to an enormous amount of documentaries narrated by the great Lord/Sir David Attenborough and my mind wandered to the image of an African mother, bucket strapped to head, trudging to the local water source. I could here him describing how I wearily searched for my nearest “watering spot”, a more first world pizzeria offering Wi-Fi. As the sun came down, I reached the bar/restaurant and asked for my “usual” of un pression et le clé pour le Wi-Fi.  As I catch up on a few days’ worth of sports results, news, emails and to my surprise, Facebook notifications, I munch on my calzone, which turns out to be delicious. I soon become aware that the place has emptied, the waitress is bringing in the tables from outside and the barman is mopping the counter. I check my watch, 8pm. I quickly pack up knowing that my next session probably won’t be for a few days. As I trudge back up to my residence I try to come to terms with the town where the supermarket stays open longer than most bars.

En reviendront au bar Wi-Fi, je me réfléchisse avec la fierté sur ma première journée de vrai travail. Le sourire disparait toute de suite quand j’ai lu le mots Lundi – Fermé sur la porte du bar. Donc, en me rendant compte du fait que l’autre bar avec Wi-Fi était dans l’autre coin du village, je tourne et je commence le voyage par-dessus de la montagne (la colline de vrai). Pendant cette partie du voyage, je me sent comme une femme africaine cherchant de l’eau, mais en place de la pale, c’est mon MacBook sur la tête. En même temps que la nuit tombe, j’arrive à la pizzeria et je demande comme d’habitude pour une pression et le clé.  En me mettant au courant avec tous les infos, résultats de sports, mails et au mon surpris, des notifications de Facebook, je mange le calzone qui est délicieux. Je me rends compte du fait que le bar s’est vidé, la propreteuse met toutes les tables en ordre et le propréteur  lave le bar. Je regards ma montre, 20h.  Je range les affaires et je sors.  En remontre la colline, J’essaie de comprendre le village ou les bars ferment plus tôt que le supermarché.

En revenir al bar Wi-Fi, me reflejo con orgullo sobre mi primer dia de trabajo verdadero. La sonrisa desaparece pronto cuando veo en la puerta Lundi – fermé. Entonces, cuando me di cuenta de que el otro bar Wi-Fi esta al otro lado del pueblo, comienzo el viaje tras la montaña (la colina en verdad). En este momento, me siento como una mujer africana que busca el agua pero en lugar del balde en la cabeza, tengo mi portátil y busco internet.  Al mismo tiempo que el noche comienza, llegue al pizzería y pido como siempre una caña y la llave Wi-Fi. Como un calzone mientras leo las noticias, los resultados deportivos, mis correos electrónicos y por supuesto el Facebook. De pronto, me di cuenta de que el bar se ha vaciado, de que la camarera arregla las mesas y el barista lava el bar. Miro mi reloj, son las ocho.  Entonces, arreglo mis cosas y salgo. Mientras subo la colina, intento de entender el pueblo donde los bares se cierran antes de que el supermercado se cierra. 

No comments:

Post a Comment