After spending what
seemed like an eternity in Agen on a teacher-training course, I was glad to be
almost home when I passed a particularly attractive residence, complete with
owner, tending his pristine front garden. At first we both appeared content with
the simple Bonsoir but then I saw him
throw down his tools make for my direction. As he neared me, I assumed I had to
offer something more that bonsoir given
that we were pretty much the only two people outside at 8 o’clock in the
evening. I saw a nice looking sports car in the drive and so asked if it was a
MG. By this stage it had become apparent that we were opting for a brief
exchange of pleasantries whilst admiring the car, which tuned out to be a ’65
Fiat, made in America but bought in Mainz, as far as I understood. The brief
exchange of pleasantries became a half hour chinwag, covering anything from
immigration in the UK to the cheating mind-set he considered universal among
modern sportspeople. I struggled to
comprehend his sentiments behind his ridiculously strong accent and mouthful of
tobacco but I managed to gauge a feeling of gratitude on his part. He seemed
glad to have a genuine conversation with someone, because, as far as I could
make out, he was alone, save for the slobbering mutt he kept chained to the
tree. Once I had finally managed to end
the conversation, I too felt grateful that this complete stranger had wanted to
talk to me. I felt a little guilty for wanting the exchange to end so quickly
as I remembered that he had been one of the first locals to initiate the
conversation.
No comments:
Post a Comment