Monday, 15 October 2012

Agen


The capital of the Lot-et-Garonne region, Agen, was the venue for my first French soirée. Getting there is easy enough from anywhere in the region, and I didn’t even have to pay for my train. I got to the station expecting to buy a ticket at the desk, only to discover there was no attendant on Saturday afternoon, so I just assumed I’d buy one on the train. Whilst sat on the train, I marvelled at the fantastic countryside, which was bathing in the October sun, which continues to keep me smiling. When I realised that we’d arrived in Agen, I also realised that no one had challenged me for a ticket, nor had anyone checked the tickets of the 20 other passengers. Assuming I’d be challenged at the station gates where I’d explain myself to the relevant authority I marched straight into the station, then straight out the exit door into Agen, without as much as a passing glance. Obviously this is all confidential between us but it made me wander how many people bother to buy tickets if the controls are so loose. Anyway, due to the infrequency of trains to Agen, I had an entire afternoon to kill. So I headed to the Boulevard de la République, a delightful pedestrianized shopping promenade, where I found the Café de la Bourse, and perched myself in front of the first of a handful of Heineken Cup matches (or H Cup as they say here). 
Café de la Bourse


After two consecutive French victories, I went to meet up with my group at the Pub Au Bureau at the end of the Boulevard, which seemed like the place to be in Agen on a Saturday night. I had seen places like Au Bureau all over Europe, but they usually have a far less imaginative name like O’Malley’s or Paddy’s. Yes Au Bureau may be a typically European ‘Irish Pub’ but the atmosphere was a thousand time better than I could ever have imagined, like what I imagine a Dublin pub is like on St Patrick’s day. Just next door to the pub is the Disco Saint Barth, and although the word disco doesn’t instil much confidence to us Anglophones, I’ve been told that disco is what the French say for nightclubs.
All in all, my first trip to Agen was a success, not only due to the free travel, but also the proof that Lot-et-Garonne isn’t just about prunes and long weekends. I’ll definitely be back soon.


Café de la Bourse, Boulevard de la République/Place des Laitiers, Agen
Pub Au Bureau, Place Jasmin, Agen

No comments:

Post a Comment